Translate

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Richard III

http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/80/285x214/375517_1.jpg
During the last half of 2003, I lived and worked in England, in the Leicestershire town of Loughborough.  I made almost weekly trips down to Leicester.  In March and April of 2004, I was assigned to Nuneaton, in Warwickshire, just a ways southwest of Leicester.

While living in Nuneaton, I took a trip out to the countryside, to the village of Market Bosworth and to an old battleground.  The site of the Battle of Bosworth Field where King Richard III lost to Henry Tudor.

This week's announcement by the University of Leicester about verifying their find of the remains of King Richard III, hit a special spot for me.  I've walked the battlefield where he died.  I've been to the city, and possibly very close to where he was buried.  I just found and still find it fascinating. This is seriously interesting stuff.  Do yourself a favor and check it out.  The University of Leicester has a great overview of the process finding and then identifying the remains of the king beyond a reasonable doubt.  You can find it at www.le.ac.uk/richardiii.

No comments:

Post a Comment