Translate

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Australia on Short Notice

It's been awhile since my last post, for semi good reason.  It is a bit ironic that I start with telling some of my earliest memories about my relatives from Australia, and then unexpectedly leave a week later to Australia.

Late on Friday, almost a week after the prior post, I get word that my Australian grandfather passed away.  It was both expected and unexpected.  He had been in poor health for a few years, but stable until that day.

He passed away late on our friday, I bought the ticket late on Saturday, and I left mid Monday.  I arrived late morning on Wednesday, and spent Wednesday fighting jet lag and working on both a eulogy and the photo slideshow used during the luncheon of the funeral.

I spent two and a half weeks in Australia, and unlike last year where I spent every waking moment either visiting relatives or playing tourist, I was able to do fairly normal things.  I felt more like I was living there and less like I was vacationing.

No comments:

Post a Comment